Here’s where the real magic happens. The methods make the difference between mediocre food and a delicious meal. There are plenty of cooking methods out there and virtually all of them can be used off-grid.
The variety can feel overwhelming, but don’t let it intimidate you. Most cooking methods are based on a handful of simple principles, natural laws, and common-sense practices.
The Basics: What you need to get started
The basics is a 6-part series of posts where we go through the basics of cooking off-grid. We’ll keep it simple and leave the advanced math and science for another day.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- Part 1 – The science of fire
- Part 2 – Cooking with fuel, electricity and chemical reactions
- Part 3 – Retained heat cooking and pressure cooking
- Part 4 – Solar cooking and Integrated cooking
- Part 5 – Cold preparations
- Part 6 – Fermentation
- Part 7 – Preservation
Let’s get cooking!